Turkey Place Settings

by La-Dee-Da Crafter on November 5, 2012 · 11 comments

Turkey Place Settings

This year for Thanksgiving, I wanted to make each person a place setting. You can’t call these place cards because they are made of wood, so I am not sure what to call them but they are cu-ute!

For these turkeys, you need shims from Home Depot or any hardware store.

From what I understand they are for roofing or something. Who knows? But just ask when you are there and tell them you are using them for crafting. I love the look of confusion on their faces when you do.

I started out cutting my shims in half.

I may not use power tools but I can rock the hand saw.

Now, time to paint these babies.

I chose metallic paint from the Martha Steward line.

Also, grab a square piece of wood. I had these in my craft room  already but you can buy them at the craft store. I painted mine a sand/tan color and painted a turkey face on it after it dried.

I just freehanded the face so if I can do it, you can too. I also hot glued my shims on the back.

Looks good so far.

Now, I wanted to personalize these for everyone in my family. So, I added vinyl.

You may be wondering how these are standing up. So, here is my secret.

I bought small frames from Michael’s. They were $1 a piece.

I simply ripped the backs off and glued on the back of my turkeys. I love these frames and will use them for another project, so need to feel bad. They will be repurposed.

For my smallest kids, I made smaller turkeys. They are just as cute. I made the shims skinnier and the wood square is smaller.

I am so excited to have family come into town and spend the day with us. I know they will love their very own Turkey Place Settings. So, grateful for them and for crafting. It is my passion to create so that my family can make memories all of our own.

So Turkey-fied, So gobble gobble, So La-Dee-Da!

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Brittny November 6, 2012 at 1:51 am

Adorable with just the right amount of whimsy! Would love to be sitting at your table;)

Sewing For Utange November 6, 2012 at 10:06 am

Very cute! What a lovely thing for your visitors to take away with them.

K @ Claiming Our Space November 6, 2012 at 11:03 am

These are so cute! Placecards make getting everyone seated for dinner so much easier since you don’t have to answer the “where do you want me? question a dozen times. Thanks so much for linking up to the Thanksgiving Treats & Fall Fun link party! I also have a weekly link up Tout It Tuesday and would love it if you would stop by to link up there too.

Jeannie November 6, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I bet our little grands will like making these while the grown ups keep the kitchen busy at Grandma’s! Can’t wait to set them to it!

Kaysi @ Keeping It Simple November 7, 2012 at 2:35 am

Those are adorable! Love them!

Simplee Sue November 7, 2012 at 5:47 pm

These are so cute for the table. Always looking for new ideas. Thank you. Partying from Southern Lovely.

We may have met by chance…but we become friends by choice.

Heidi November 7, 2012 at 11:32 pm

What a clever idea, and they turned out adorable! I have tons of paint sticks lying around. I bet they would work, too. Thank you so much for visiting and adding your idea to the Thanksgiving Treats and Fall Fun Linky Party. I’m one of your co-hosts from OneCreativeMommy.com. If you linked up from one of the other co-host sites, I hope you’ll stop by my site for a visit. (Pinning!)

Lindsay @Artsy-Fartsy Mama November 11, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Oh my… this is SO cute!! What a fun idea! Love that you put the names on them.

I also wanted to let you know that you’ve been featured on my blog today!

Alexis @ we like to learn as we go November 13, 2012 at 4:02 pm

These are just too cute! The perfect place setting for Thanksgiving. I’m featuring this tonight on my blog and pinning!